The Scotch Whisky Association are asking candidates standing in the General Election to support Scotch Whisky by signing up to five commitments which will boost the industry, its workforce and communities across Scotland.
- Reform of UK excise duty structures and fair tax for Scotch
- Government funded promotion campaign for Scotch Whisky in the United States
- Provide effective infrastructure for business growth
- Support action on sustainability, including increasing funding of low carbon projects through Growth Deals
- Work in partnership to reduce alcohol misuse
Christine Jardine, Liberal Democrat candidate for Edinburgh West, has committed her support to the campaign.
Ms Jardine commented:
“I am delighted to sign up to the Scotch Whisky Association’s 'Support Scotch' campaign, and to back their 5-point manifesto.
“Not only does the whisky industry attract visitors to Scotland from all over the globe, it also provides vital jobs and supports countless communities.
“Scotch Whisky is crucial to the UK economy. and Edinburgh West is home to Diageo, producer of some of the best selling whisky in the world!
“But the competitive global market could make continued growth in the event of Brexit a real uphill struggle, so supporting the industry by fulfilling these five asks will allow it to continue to thrive".